Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Ellen's

Just two businesses east of Heritage Park in Eagle is a small yellow house that has been converted into Ellen's Gourmet Fudge shop. We went there because of a rumor circulating around town. A rumor I dearly hoped was true.

Ellen's Gourmet Fudge sells something besides fudge: decadent, creamy, wonderful BYU Creamery Ice Cream. What makes it so good? It contains 2 to 4 percent more butterfat than most other brands. Ellen's sends a driver to Utah to bring back ice cream from the BYU Creamery. You've got to love it- they go the distance for really good ice cream.

The kids and I taste-tested as many flavors as we could: root beer float, peanut butter cup, birthday cake (can I just tell you the raptures my 6 year old expressed when she saw they had a birthday cake ice cream flavor?), strawberry lemon, and boysenberry sorbet. Everything was pronounced wonderful and Mom-can-we come-here-again? Oh, yes, I plan on coming here again. I still need to try the fudge.

Eat inside at the cute vintage tables and chairs or outside in front at umbrella tables. Or you could walk back to the gazebo and offer a taste of your ice cream to every person you pass (as did my 6 year old).

Or not. There are times where selfish is good. I plan on being selfish when I go back for the fudge.

FYI: July is National Ice Cream Month. Go celebrate.

Ellen's Gourmet Fudge
227 East State Street
Eagle, ID 83616
(208) 830-0814

No comments:

Post a Comment