Wednesday, July 15, 2009


I'm trying to keep my kid's interest and my sanity intact this summer. As we were making a list of things to do, all of the kids declared they wanted to go hiking. Warning: I am not the greatest outdoor mom. I married an Eagle Scout. My sons are all working towards earning their Eagles. You'd think I'd be more hip about this outdoor stuff.



Lucky for me, someone told me about the easy hike at Hulls Gulch Reserve in the Boise foothills. A few wrong turns (I'm still not used to all the one way streets in Boise) and we made it.
With a backpack full of water bottles, sunscreen, and bug repellent, and our dog on her leash, we explored a two mile trail that was easy enough for my 6 year old daughter and had enough challenges to keep my two older sons happy. There were plenty of trails for hikers and mountain bikers. The kids learned quickly to move to the side of the trail when bikes rode past. The bikers were friendly and courteous and did not run my kids over. Thank heavens.

We explored trails and creeks for two hours. As soon as we were back to the car, my boys wanted to know if we could come back again the next day.
Mission: successful.



Mission: successful.

We're now trying to plan weekly day hikes. Suggestions are appreciated.

Hulls Gulch Reserve

Ridge to Rivers Trails System

No comments:

Post a Comment